10 Manufacturing Issues that are Easy to Fix But Can Persist for Years
- On 07/22/2022
Here is a list of 10 manufacturing maladies that are pretty common. The darn thing is that they're generally easy to fix but don't seem to get the right kind of management attention. These problems, therefore, tend to persist and become permanent fixtures in the business … and they don't have to be.
Here are some common manufacturing issues that have perfectly workable solutions:
- Maintaining accurate inventory
- Uncertain purchasing or manufacturing requirements. This can be evident when buyers export data from the ERP system, put it in a spreadsheet, and massage it to figure out what they need to buy. There's no need for that.
- Material shortages
- Frequent production rescheduling. This is one of the best ways to be really counterproductive in my view.
- Long manufacturing lead times. This tends to be pretty multi-dimensional but solving some of the things on this list will lead to shorter lead times
- Inability to keep manufactured finished goods in stock
- Late customer shipments. This is also multi-dimensional, but if you fix some of the things on this list then your shipments and your lead times can both fall into alignment
- High overtime labor costs
- Poor visibility to manufacturing capacity
- High inventory
Everything on this List Can be Solved
There are solutions for these things and it doesn't have to take a long time to fix them. There is no need to allow these things to roost and take over your business.
Contact us to see how Altemir Consulting can help achieve your operating performance and profitability objectives.